In the latest issue of All Out Cricket magazine – a fast bowling special – we put four of the market’s finest bowling boots through their paces (quite literally).
Quick men put their bodies through an ordeal every time they deliver the ball, and quite honestly their feet can take a bit of a pounding. It’s worth it for that moment when ball cannons into stump, but if you’re going to be hitting the pitch, twisting and following through at pace, you need footwear that’s up to the task. If you plan to make your way in the game as a bowler, we really recommend you invest some time in finding the shoes that best suit you.
To try and help you in your search, we have chosen top-end boots from four marquee brands with a reputation for producing quality, supportive footwear that can stand up to the rigours of a long spell and given them a comprehensive run out. Happily, we can report back that we very much liked what we found. Following hot on the heels of the adidas Twenty2yds Mid IV, here’s the ASICS Gel Speed Menace.
ASICS GEL SPEED MENACE
The Tech Spec
- Weight: 542g
- Full synthetic leather upper
- P-GUARD toebox for increased durability
- PHF memory foam in the heel for a customised fit
- Rear-foot and fore-foot GEL units deliver a high level of cushioning
- The flexibility
- The sturdy protection on the big toe
- The reliable, solid feel
- The low-cut look: very much personal preference because some bowlers will always prefer the additional ankle support higher-cut versions offer. These are more like a traditional trainer-with-spikes rather than a built-up boot
- The colours: the green in particular didn’t really do it for us
- There’s slightly less breathable material than in previous ASICS offerings
Value For Money: 4/5
AOC Rating: 4.5/5
Click here to read part three of Gear On Test: These Boots Are Made For Bowling